I sit in front of my laptop, shaking my head in disbelief. I am inside a farce, a comedy of errors, and I’m going to shoot the director. Thursday, it snowed. A lot. That was, by far, the best part. (ok, the mini blizzard at DQ was really rather nice, too)
We had a true winter day with lots of snow and wind and ice on the roads and wiper blades. (I had to crinkle off the ice several times!) Those darn things never did get completely clean. Mum got a haircut (the lovely lady gave it to her free of charge), we went to DQ for lunch, I got the odd phone thing on my phone fixed, (Turning off notifications is a great way to get rid of things), purchased some dog food and chaga tea for mum (finally! I’ve been hoping she’ll drink some to help her feel better for years. Of course, she has to get used to the odd flavor!), then we went to her oncologist appointment.
We had never met this doctor before. Her favorite doctor, who retired, passed us to her like a parcel. This woman opened the package and spoke to mum quite frankly about what she found inside. Mum’s weight has gone up, she’s now about 116 pounds. Her blood pressure and other stats are perfectly normal. The doctor told mum she was in ‘pretty good shape for the shape she’s in.’ When asked, she told us the tumor marker went from 1992 at the end of Jan, to 4100 this week. The doctor told mum the numbers were steadily rising, but not escalating. It appears the tumors are growing and keeping the pain under control is the best option. The disease has not spread into destroying other organs. Even the ones in her lungs don’t appear to be doing more than just sitting there. She told mum she didn’t really recommend she continue as a patient, because all the clinic was doing were looking at numbers (labs). It wasn’t really helping mum. In time, as the disease spreads, she would be open to seeing her again. Although, mom’s options for systemic treatment are slim to none. The doctor knows the one who put in mum’s pain pump and said she couldn’t ask for a better pain management team. With that and her primary physician, she felt mum had all she really needed at this time.
Mum was a bit poleaxed. I did tell the doctor how the labs do help mum. She gets to see people. Unfortunately, mum could do that just by walking in with the hats she’s made. The doctor did ask mum some other hard questions. One was if mum would like to be genetically tested. This, to me, is 100% more important than finding out what kind of DNA is in her background for ancestry. Mum agreed (Jake has been wanting this done for years. Odd, as Jake also refuses to have a mammogram or any other test which might find something ‘off’. I have a strange sister.) Another thing she asked mum was if she wanted to terminate her DNR status. That was difficult for mum to think about. The rest of our afternoon was a catalyst for her decision on that. She told us we could also terminate the nurses who visit, since they aren’t really doing more than monitoring her. Unless I leave! (I may wait for the termination of their visits til the last appointment with the pain doctor. I don’t feel comfortable with the incisions on mom. Yes, they are healing well. One has a bulge—can’t recall what the doctor called it. A bulge where the skin is not healing flat. Anyway, it appears to be ok, but what if something happened to it before we went to the city again??)
We left the office and mum was quiet. We talked a bit about DNR and a few other things and headed home. It was pretty slick, I wasn’t driving very fast, I hit a lethal corner, and this happened.
Fortunately, the snow was like a giant pile of feathers. A 16 year old witness reported to his mom it was, ‘Impressive. She landed on it like it was a pillow!’ The boy’s mom gave me a number for a tow truck and we sat and waited for help. Mum read and I had to keep popping in and out to tell people we were ok. The towing guy arrived and said it was perfect. (it did take quite a while to get the car free!) The soft snow cushioned everything and kept us safe. Mum was absolutely fine, the car seems to be fine (filled with snow inside the engine, I hope it doesn’t freeze tonight!!), and I was only slightly admonished for driving too fast. (45 was slower than those around me!) While the tow truck driver took care of mom’s car, the nearby fire station took care of mum. Two lovely first responders dug mum out, hauled her to the station to get warm, and then others helped keep an eye on traffic. This was fortuitous. At the station, mum sat and chatted with an old friend of hers who is an EMT. During the course of the conversation, mum told them about today and she decided to keep her DNR status.
Once home, I proceeded to text a handful of persons with a photo and the caption ‘Car and occupants all well.’ (or something similar). Immediately texts came back from everyone except two persons. The Craftsman and one of mom’s good friends. Later, I talked for 30 min with him. I asked if he’d gotten my text. He said yes. I then asked why he hadn’t responded. He was surprised. His comment, ‘you had said you were fine and the car was ok.’ I filled him on the rest of the week’s experiences and mom. (I laughed later. He and Little Bear are so alike and matter of fact. Although, the kid may have shot me back a text. His older brother did.)
During my text/talk evening, the neighbor came to plow. I must admit, the lovely wide drive of a few days ago is not there anymore. We really have gotten a LOT of snow!!!!!! It is continuing to snow and drift as I type. Mum meets with a cancer counselor tomorrow at the clinic. IF she can get to the Peninsula. Pilots don’t care for blowing snow any more than they like flying in fog. As much as I want mum to see this woman, I really don’t want to go out tomorrow. I guess it is like falling off a bike. Once down, I better get back on and move.
(NOTE: I also found out the owner of the house where I elf has been sick all week. So, instead of elfing and getting caught by the neighbors as a burglar, I might have met some germs. Truly bad guys.)